Victor Duffy, RIP

Jamila Gardner (L) and Victor Duffy ® at Orcas Is Feb 2009
Victor, me, Jamila and Mandela in Feb 2009

Victor looking hungrily at Jamila's food!
June marks two things for me - the end of summer and the death anniversary of our forever young friend, Victor Duffy.  Victor was tasered to death by the Tukwila Police in June 2012, a couple yearsafter our trip to Orcas Island.  Here's the entry from the Seattle Times:  


I wrote about our trip to Orcas Island on this blog on February 3 2009.  You'll have to scroll down to the older posts to see it.  I found these older pictures that I don't think I have shared with his mom Deann Mills yet.  I hope she gets a chance to see these photos sometime soon.  I might even do a little page for him now that i have my supplies…

I still cannot fathom how the police could act with such force and hate and lack of understanding.  Regardless of what juries and judges say, i know Victor and I know he is not the young man depicted in this story.  These pictures show Victor the way Victor really was, a young, talented, helpful, courageous, simple and fun young man who had an illness he should never have been given the ultimate punishment for.  He was no threat to anyone.


Comments

Rashawn M said…
He was my 1st boyfriend when I was 12 and he was 13
. I remember laying eyes on him for the first time at Mt Zion Preparatory. I knew right then and there the way he carried himself that it was only a matter of time before I would end having a crush on him and I did. He was such a sweetheart. I remember for my 13th birthday my family threw a birthday party for me which took place in our Advisory class ( the only class Victor and I had together).My nephew who was 3 years older than me told Victor secretly during the party that I had a HUGE crush on him. I was so embarrassed when Victor later on told me and ask me if it was true. Which I reluctantly admitted. He then told me he liked me too and gave me his beeper number (Which is like having the newest Iphone back then). ...Anywhoo I finally got the nerve to page him and about 10 mins later he called!!!!! I was so nervous but it turns out that this guy that I had all these butterflies about was such a cool down to earth teenager that liked the same things as me. He ended up giving me his house number and we would stay on the phone for hours....I still remember the number strangely enough to this day. We dated for almost a year until I had to move away. We reconnected a few times as young adults but was never able to see each other. I am soooooo sorry Victor and I miss you sooo much. I think about u all the time! Every time I think of you I get those same butterflies. Its so amazing to be able to feel what u felt as a teenager when u are adult . You gave me that. You will forever hold a place in my heart. Thank you for everything!