Philippine Journey 2017

Gifts from the sea at Banol Island, Coron, Palawan, Philippines
The last two weeks visiting my homeland the Philippines has been quite an experience.  Coming here after my year's journey of decolonizing has brought so many amazing experiences to my visit, both complementing and supplementing what I learned from my own journey.

I never want to forget Papo (L) and Bong (R), our boat captains and cooks who not only prepared our meal but also expertly guided us through the roughest bangka ride I have ever been thanks to the storm Urduja that visited the Island.
A snapshot of our lunch table at Malkapuya Is.

A reflective look back at the water.  Photo by PaoPao Arceo.
I turned 57 here on my birthday and celebrated with lunch on Malkapuya Island, Coron, Palawan.  My one wish from this trip was to find some almasika for smudging (if possible.)  I did not have much hope in finding this special item but a chance meeting with a Tagbanua elder Aling Maurita - seaweed vendor and an amazing person - led me to find the almasika. 

Aling Teresa Bernabe at the Coron Public Market.
Aling Maurita G. and her family selling fresh seaweed, oysters, mussels from the sea.

My sister Sally captured this photo of Aling Maurita sharing some of the ways the Tagbanuas utilize Taing (Almasika). 
The Tagbanua called it "Taing" and Aling Maurita shared that aside from its use as smudging or incense material, it was also used for other purposes.  One of which is tea - made from adding a half teaspoon or so of the taing to hot water - and taken to relieve pasma (tremors?), inflammation, and indigestion.  She said that they add ginger or tamarind or kalamansi to the drink and a little honey to deepen its taste and effects.  The smell of Taing is amazing - it smells a little like frankincense and myrrh.  I am hoping to be able to bring some home (if Customs lets me) and be able to use it for my own smudging and blessing.  

The Philippines is so beautiful.  There are no words to describe the beauty and resilience of my people.  We are powerful, resilient, grateful, resourceful, insightful, and respectful people.  We utilized what we have in our surroundings, just like how the folks of Pampanga ate the Paco ferns that grow on their land.
Close up of edible ferns from Abe's Farm, in Magalang, Pampanga. 

My family is very gay.  About half of my immediate family is in same sex relationships (including yours truly) - it was a joy to meet their partners and close friends.  I am so proud of our elders for being so supportive of our relationships....!  I have never felt more comfortable than when I am around my entire gay family.  Robin says it's unusual to have so many gay people in a family.  I do agree.  My family is one of a kind.  I feel blessed to be born into this family.  

Aside from spending time with family and friends, this visit has allowed me to share first hand some of the things I learned this year about our rich indigenous history.  My friend Robin (Cree) came along on this trip, and together we offered blessings and prayers to my family as well as the land we are on.  I was able to share smudge with my Auntie, Robin and other members of my family.  Many thanks to Robin for offering tobacco.  This experience made me understand even further the parallel (and dissimilar) pathways that indigenous tribes on Turtle Island, and Philippine Language groups experienced over history.  It was an amazing opportunity to share what I learned from my own personal decolonizing work with my relatives, especially our young people.  I have been gifted so richly by my culture and I long to give back and contribute to my people's liberation.

The journey is far from over  - there is much work to be done.  Vinta (a second storm that moved through Mindanao) devastated my ancestral home in Bagong Silang, Kapatagan, Lanao del Norte.  In addition to political and civil unrest, mother Nature has brought upon her fury in a way that no one in recent memory has seen in their lifetime.  I saw the effects of climate change and global warming to the seasonal changes on the Island.  Vinta brought so much damaged, killed 200 people, and caught so many families unprepared....what we are seeing and feeling in Seattle is also happening in other parts of the world.  Truly our struggles are connected.  We are all related.

More photos below...
Sandbar on Bulog Dos Island 

On the bangka, waiting for my group to return from the Lagoon.

Bulog Dos Island

My sister Sally and me.

I love this photo of me - minus the photobomb in the back LOL!

A quick birthday lunch/reunion with some former highschool classmates.

Mandela and me

Waling Waling Island from afar 

Bulog Dos Is as we approached 

No makeup and happy as heck at the Coron Public Market with Robin Magnan who, btw, lost her glasses at the Tiangge and I had to walk back in the black out to find it!  Finally found it at the first vendor she visited!  What a trip.
Lunch with my former classmates.


In the middle is my mom's oldest sister Filipinas.  I had no idea she was so "game" and full of life at 82 years old!

Anne Sinay's family - Aiden, Mayumi, Mimam, Julian, Me, and Tips at breakfast.  They were visiting from Sydney.  


Mamaluz's birthday dinner at Tong Yang Shabu Shabu at the mall - Dec 29 2017

A quick oot getaway with the 3Ts - Tips, Tatty, Tong.  I am trying to get some sun. 
At Abe Country Resort and Farm


Cool room inside an Ifugao style bahay kubo

Turon and Carioka at Balay Dako

Pinakbet rice

Pinky, Cherry, Mama with Taal Lake and Taal volcano in the background

Cute chair made out of old tree stump - Cherry in the bg

Cherry and me in Tagaytay

Binukadkad na pla pla

Hibiscus in front of my Auntie Lory's home in Paranaque

Christmas Photo of the Arceo kids - not shown is my brother Joel RIP

Another family pic

Tita Ying and me - she is the oldest matriarch, still kicking it but her short term memory is gone.  Many thanks to her caregiver Ana and her kids Lisa and Eric


My niece Gel - first time meeting her

Mandela, Robin and me at the mall

Emperador shot with Pinky

Cherry and her partner Gay with pet Simon

Bamboo Rice, courtesy of Abe's Resto


Comments

Cookie Arceo Gardner said…
YAY! Look at Tita Cherry!
what is it with y'all taking group pictures in the water? It's kinda cute naman!!
Robin said…
Wow, what what a good journal entry, and thank you so much for inviting me along! I was so grateful to be part of your journey, meet so many in your family, and to spend time in your beloved (now my beloved) Philipines. It was so powerful to do ceremony with you and your family. , and I can't wait to go back. Thank you so much for going back and getting my glasses in Coro, and for making me wear those 'old lady' tie-ons for my glasses. I'm so glad the trip went so well for you, look forward to seeing you back in Seattle!